Frequently Asked Questions


What are your office hours?

Monday – 8 am – 4 pm
Tuesday – 8 am – 4 pm
Wednesday – 8 am – 12 pm
Thursday – 8 am – 4 pm
Friday – 8 am – 4 pm

What is the physical address?

3911 Morse Street
Denton, TX 76208

What is the mailing address?

3911 Morse Street
Denton, TX 76208

How does the property tax system work?

The Denton Central Appraisal District is charged with determining value of all the county’s real and personal property for the purpose of taxation for the taxing entities.  The taxing entities (county, cities, schools, and special districts) are responsible for setting the tax rate, which determines how much property tax each property owner will pay.  The Denton County Tax Office is charged with collecting the taxes that  are used to provide local services like schools, roads, hospitals, fire, police, etc. for the taxing entities and the taxpayers they serve in Denton County.

Who sets the rate at which my property is taxed?

The taxing entities (county, cities, schools, and special districts) set the tax rate which determines how much property tax each property owner will need to pay.

Are the Appraisal District and Tax Office the same thing?

No.  Appraisal Districts are under the guidelines of the State of Texas. They were created for the purpose of determining value that is fair and uniform. The Tax Office is a county based entity that is responsible for the collection and distribution of tax revenue to the county’s entities. The Appraisal District and Tax Office are kept separate and follow different guidelines and requirements.

Appraisal districts can answer questions about:

  • agricultural and special appraisal
  • appraisal methodology
  • exemptions
  • property values
  • protests and appeals
  • special inventory appraisal

County tax offices can answer questions for the taxing units they serve about:

  • payment options
  • tax bills
  • tax certificates
  • tax rates
  • tax receipts
  • other information related to paying property taxes

When do I receive my determination of value and what if I disagree with it?

Denton CAD will begin mailing out “Notice of Appraised Values” in April-May each year. The determination of value is based on your property as of January 1 of that year. You have 30 days (from date of mailing) to file a formal protest form. 

Please check out the How to Protest page on this website.

By what authority is my property taxed?

Property is taxed by the authority of the Texas Constitution.

The Constitution sets forth five basic principles for property taxes in Texas:
1. Taxes must be equal and uniform. No single property or type of property should pay more than its fair share.
2. Property must be appraised on its current market value meaning the price that it would sell for on the open market when both the buyer and seller seek the best price and neither is under pressure to buy or sell.
3. Each property in a county must have a single appraised value. This is guaranteed by the use of the county appraisal districts.
4. All property is taxable unless federal or state law exempts it from the tax.
5. Property owners have a right to reasonable notice of increases in their appraised property value. 

More information on the Texas Property Tax Code may be found on the Texas Comptroller’s website.

When are my taxes due and how do I pay them?

Taxes are due to the Denton County Tax Office when you receive your tax statement from them around October 1st.  You have until January 31st of the following year to pay your taxes at the Denton County Tax Office. Penalty and interest charges begin accumulating on most unpaid tax bills on February 1st.

For more information about the Denton County Tax Office, click here.

What is a “situs” location?

Situs is the physical location address of the property. 

What do I have to do to get my name and address off the appraisal district website?

Texas Tax Code §25.025 permits certain persons to request that the appraisal district restrict from public access any information in the appraisal district records required by §25.02 that could be used to identify their home addresses. 

[50-284] Request for Confidentiality


What is a general homestead exemption?

The general homestead exemption is provided by State law for owner-occupied residential properties. The exemption removes a portion of your value from taxation providing a lower tax amount for the homestead property.

What exemptions are available?

There are several partial and absolute exemptions available. Some of these exemptions include:  General Residential Homestead, Over 65, Over 65 Surviving Spouse, Disability Homestead, Disabled Veterans, Charitable, Religious, Freeport and Pollution Control.  

Those forms can be found here.

How do I qualify for the general homestead exemption?

Prior to 2021, to qualify for a homestead exemption you must own and occupy the property on or before January 1st of the year for which you are applying. You may submit the form now and the homestead will be applied to the year(s) in which you qualify.

Beginning in 2022, your homestead will be prorated on based on the purchase date of your home as long as the previous owner’s exemptions are no longer in place.

The property must be your primary residence. You cannot claim another homestead on another piece of property in any county or state.

You must submit a copy of your driver’s license or State ID issued by the Texas Dept. of Public Safety with your application. The address on the identification presented MUST match the address of the property for which you are requesting the homestead exemption.

When and where do I apply for my homestead exemption?

You may apply at the Denton Central Appraisal District between January 1st and April 30th of the tax year. You may file for a late HS exemption up to one year after the date which the taxes become delinquent. 

[50-114] Homestead Exemption (Disabled Person, Over-65, 100% Disabled Vet & More)

Email to:

Mail to or Drop-off at: 3911 Morse Street, Denton, TX 76208

Do I need to reapply every year for my homestead exemption?

No, you do not have to reapply unless the chief appraiser requests a new application in writing or you move to a new residence.

Do I have to file another form for the new home I just bought?

Yes, a new application is required when a property owner’s residence homestead is changed.

How many acres can I claim as my homestead?

State law allows you to claim the portion of your land that you maintain for residential purposes, but this amount may not exceed 20 acres. Generally, one acre or less is maintained for homestead purposes.

Can I claim a homestead on a mobile home if I do not own the land?

Yes, please include a copy of your title to the mobile home or a verified copy of your purchase contract along with the exemption form.

Is there a fee to file for an exemption?

There is no fee to file and you do not have to hire anyone to file for you.

It is not necessary for homeowners to pay anyone to file for a homestead exemption or any other exemption. 

Will the homestead protect me in case of a lawsuit?

Texas has two distinct laws for designating a homestead. The Texas Tax Code offers homeowners a way to apply for homestead exemptions to reduce local property taxes. The Texas Property Code allows homeowners to designate their homesteads to protect them from a forced sale to satisfy creditors. This law does not, however, protect the homeowner from tax foreclosure sales of his or her home for delinquent taxes. 

If my driver’s license does not match the property address, will you accept a passport or temporary DL?

Per the Texas Property Tax Code the district cannot accept a passport. Texas State-issued forms of identification displaying the property address are the only acceptable forms of identification that the appraisal district can use.

Does the rule that the driver’s license address must match the homestead address apply to everyone?

No, there are some exceptions. 

Police Officers, other law enforcement and judicial personnel do not have home addresses on their driver’s license as provided for by the Transportation Code 521.121(c) or 521.1211. These individuals must attach a copy of the application to the Texas Department of Transportation for the license when submitting the exemption request.

Victims of family violence protected by the Attorney General through the Address Confidentiality Program (ACP). When applying for an exemption please present the exemption form in person to customer service along with the ACP card issued by the Attorney General.

Homeowner living in a facility for reasons of health, infirmity or aging.

Active duty members of the armed services or his or her spouse. Attach a copy of the military identification card and a copy of a utility bill for the property subject to the claimed exemption in the name of the military member or spouse.

No other exceptions will be considered by the chief appraiser.

Will the appraisal district accept a notarized certificate of occupancy as proof of residence for the homestead exemption?


Will I get notification that my application has been approved?

No, unfortunately due to high volume the district cannot verify when a homestead has been added. Homestead status is displayed on our website. Please check our website to verify the homestead has been added to your account at the appraisal district, usually within 90 days. Click here to search for your property.

When are the Homestead Exemption, Over 65 (years old) Exemption, Disabled Person Exemption applications due?

April 30th.

May I file my homestead exemption electronically?

The homestead exemption form can be printed and emailed back to the District at

[50-114] Homestead Exemption (Disabled Person, Over-65, 100% Disabled Vet & More)

There is more than one owner of the property. Do all the owners have to sign the application?

Yes, unless the owners are married. If the owners are married then only one has to sign, but we encourage both. All owners must include a copy of their Texas Driver’s License or State-issued ID Card with matching address. The ID provided must be the ID of those who sign the application.

I own more than one home, can I get a homestead on both?

No, you may only receive a homestead exemption on one property, your primary residence.

My homestead exemption has been removed, why?

Exemptions reflect the owner on January 1st. If you purchased a home after January 1st the exemption in place was for the previous owner. You must file an exemption application.

Exemptions can also be removed if the district sends a letter requesting re-application. If an exemption or exemptions are removed the homeowner may re-apply with appropriate supporting documentation. If the new application is submitted no later than one year after the taxes are due, the exemption will be effective in the original qualifying year. If the application is submitted more than one year after the taxes are due the exemption will apply to the current year and will not be in effect for the prior year(s).

A homeowner is entitled to an exemption on his or her primary residence as provided for in the Texas Property Tax Code. If the homeowner has more than one homestead exemption the erroneous exemption will be removed. The Texas Property Tax Code requires that the district calculate the taxes owed for the last 5 years or period of time the erroneous exemption was in place.

I forgot to apply for my exemption, can I receive it retroactively?

You may file a late homestead exemption application if you file it no later than one year after the date the taxes become delinquent.

Is it true that once I become 65 years of age, I will not have to pay any more taxes?

No, that is not true. There will still be property taxes to pay but at 65 you become eligible for additional tax exemptions.

Texas law requires school districts to offer an additional $10,000 residence homestead exemption to persons age 65 & older or disabled. A city, county, school district or special district, can adopt a separate residence homestead exemption for persons age 65 & older or disabled, this will differ for each entity. 

The Tax Code also places a ceiling on school taxes for residence homesteads owned by persons who are age 65 & older or disabled. School districts and entities other than schools who adopt a tax limitation may not increase the total annual amount of ad valorem tax it imposes on the residence homestead of an individual 65 & older or disabled, above the amount of the tax it imposed in the first tax year in which the individual qualified that residence homestead for the applicable exemption. Please note that tax limitations do not apply to land, buildings, structures &/or fixtures not included in your homesite.

Homeowners age 65 & older or disabled who may also transfer the percent of tax paid, based on their ceiling, when they purchase another home and use it as their principal residence.

Tax Ceilings do not apply to Non-Homesite properties. 

I will soon be 65, when should I apply for the over 65 exemption?

You may apply at any time during the year you turn 65 years of age. You will receive the exemption for the full year.

Do I need to file an application when I turn 65 years old or is it automatically added?

The appraisal district will add the over 65 exemption automatically during the first quarter of the year; however, this is only possible if you’ve submitted a homestead exemption application within the last year on record. If you are unsure that the district has that information, send a homestead exemption application requesting the over 65 exemption along with either a copy of the front side of your Texas driver’s license or Texas Identification

If I am disabled and over 65 can I claim both exemptions in the same tax year?

An eligible disabled person age 65 or older may receive both exemptions in the same year, but not from the same taxing units.

I have a disabled child. Would that qualify me for a disabled exemption?

No, the person applying for the exemption must own the home.

How do I transfer my Over-65 or disabled person tax ceiling?

To transfer the tax ceiling, you must qualify for an Over-65 or Disabled Person exemption at your previous residence and complete the Request to Cancel/Port Exemptions form.

A current Homestead Exemption application must also be completed for the new residence. Attach current proof of age or the date your disability began. Acceptable proof of age includes either a copy of the front side of your Texas driver’s license or Texas Identification card or a copy of your birth certificate. Acceptable proof of disability includes a current statement from the Social Security Administration (1-800-772-1213) showing that you are disabled and the date on which your disability began, or a current letter of verification from your physician stating that you are disabled, the date your disability began, and you are unable to engage in any substantial gainful work for a period which has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of one year or more.

Once the form has been processed, a certificate will be sent to the appropriate tax office for processing. If the tax rate has not been set for the current tax year, it will delay the processing of your transfer request. If the tax rate has been set, please allow 30-60 days for processing.

If the spouse qualifying for the over 65 exemption dies does the surviving spouse keep the over 65 exemption?

The surviving spouse qualifies for an extension of the Over 65 exemption if:

The surviving spouse was 55 years of age or older on the date the qualifying spouse died.

The deceased spouse was receiving the age 65 or older exemptions on this residence homestead or would have applied and qualified for the exemption in the year of his or her death.

I am a surviving spouse of an owner who had been receiving a tax ceiling on school taxes. Am I eligible for any exemption benefits?

If a homeowner who has been receiving the tax ceiling on school taxes dies, the ceiling transfers to the surviving spouse, if the survivor is 55 or older and has ownership in the home. The survivor must apply to the appraisal district for the tax ceiling to transfer.

What types of exemptions require an annual application?

The law requires an annual application by April 30 for some types of exemptions, including property exempted from Taxation by Agreement (Property Tax Abatement), Historical and Archeological Sites, exemption of Freeport Goods, and exemption of Pollution Control property approved by the Texas Commission on Environment Quality (TCEQ). Cemeteries, charitable organizations, youth development organizations, religious organizations, and non-profit private schools do not have to reapply for the exemption each year once the property tax exemption is granted, unless by written notice, the Chief Appraiser requests the property owner to file a new application. However, if their exempt property changes ownership or if their qualifications for exemption change, they must reapply.

Does a non-profit organization automatically receive a property tax exemption?

No, often organizations mistakenly believe they are entitled to a property tax exemption because they have received a federal income tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or an exemption from State sales taxes.

The Constitutional requirements for property tax exemptions are different than the provisions covering income and sales taxes. A non-profit organization may qualify for a total exemption from property taxes, but they must apply by April 30 for the exemption. 

Must I notify the Appraisal District if my entitlement to an exemption ends?

Yes, a person who received an exemption that is not required to be claimed annually must notify the Appraisal District in writing before May 1 after the entitlement to the exemption ends. If you fail to do so and do not pay your taxes in full, you will face a delinquent tax penalty, plus interest.

I am a homeowner with disabilities. What help is available to me?

A person with a disability may qualify for exemptions if:

Unable to engage in gainful work because of physical or mental disability

55 years old and blind and cannot engage in your previous work because of blindness.

If you receive disability benefits under the Federal Old Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance Program through the Social Security Administration you should qualify. Disability benefits from any other program may or may not qualify.

    I am a disabled veteran. Am I entitled to any property tax exemptions?

    You may qualify for a property tax deduction if you are either:

    A veteran who was disabled while serving with the U.S. armed forces or
    the surviving spouse or child (under 18 years of age or unmarried) of a disabled veteran.

    You must be a Texas resident and must provide documentation from the Veteran’s Administration reflecting the percentage of the service-connected disability and the name of the surviving spouse. The disability rating must be at least 10%. You may also qualify for the 100% Disabled Veterans Residential Homestead exemption. 


    How do I find out the appraised value of my property?

    The chief appraiser sends out a detailed ‘Notice of Appraised Value’ to the owner of the property annually. The Notice of Appraised Value contains a description of your property, its value, the exemptions and an estimate of taxes that might be owed. Additional property value information is also available on this website, under ‘Property Search’.

    When will values be mailed out?

    The majority of ‘Notices of Appraised Value’ letters are mailed out in April-May each year. A small number of notices may be sent at a later date. All notices are expected to be mailed by mid-June.

    I did not receive a Notice of Appraised Value, why not?

    If you have a tax agent or representative you will not receive the notice. The notice is mailed to the agent of record. Please contact your tax agent for a copy of the notice.

    If your property value increased $1,000 or less, a notice of appraised value will not be mailed.  Property values are available on the DCAD website after notices have been mailed.  Please search for your property on the Property Search page.

    What do I do if the ownership on the district records does not reflect the current ownership of a property?

    DCAD uses deed records recorded with the Denton County Clerk’s office to correct ownership information. Verify that your deed has been filed with the Denton County Clerk at (940) 349-2012. If after 90 days from the date of the closing the property, the appraisal records do not reflect the current ownership, please contact the Denton Central Appraisal District.  

    There are several owners of the property, why is only one name on the district record?

    In the case of multiple owners, the first owner listed on the deed will be added to the district record followed by Et al, meaning “and others”.

    What is the difference between “Market Value and “Assessed Value”?

    Market value is the estimated amount active buyers would currently be willing to pay for your home. Your home’s market value is determined by an appraiser, who is typically hired when your lender is deciding how much money to provide in a loan or you are setting the list price when putting your home on the market.

    Assessed value, on the other hand, takes the market value and puts it in the context of your property taxes. Assessed value is a portion of the market value, calculated as a percentage of the market value of the property. As a result, the assessed value of a property is typically lower than appraised market value.

    I thought my value could only go up 10% each year?

    The market value of your property may increase or decrease by any amount year-to-year. If you have a residential homestead exemption on your property, the increase in your assessed value is limited from year-to-year to 10% so long as changes have not been made that add “new value” (such as an “addition”).

    When I protest my property am I protesting the market value or the assessed value?

    Per the Texas Property Tax Code,  market value is the only value permitted to be protested, through the Appraisal District. Assessed Value is a statutory calculation based on the previous year’s assessed value and cannot be protested.

    Why did I receive notices from two different appraisal districts and/or counties?

    If your property boundaries span more than one county you will receive appraisal notices from each county’s appraisal district. You will not be double taxed. You are only paying one county tax, one city tax, and one school district tax, they may just be all in different county lines.